Traps: Live-capture Foot Encapsulating
Enclosed or foot encapsulating (also known as enclosed foothold or dog-proof traps) traps are now legal for trapping. These traps have been specifically designed to capture species such as raccoon and opossum (which possess a degree of manual dexterity) while minimizing the capture of non-target animals especially domestic dogs and cats. Enclosed foothold traps are a live-restraint trap which do not result in the death of the captured animal or in the potential for significant injury.
These traps are subject to the following requirements:
• All triggering and restraining mechanisms shall be enclosed by a housing.
• The triggering and restraining mechanism is accessible only by a single opening when the trap is set.
• The access opening does not exceed 2 inches in diameter or when measured diagonally.
• The triggering mechanism can be activated only by a pulling force
• The trap has a swivel-mounted anchoring system.
Full Information: trapping_summary15-16